» FrameMaker Automation
FrameMaker (before FM10) does not provide a "scripting" mechanism. If you
need to automate actions in FrameMaker, your choices are ..
- The FrameMaker Developer's Kit (FDK). A set of C libraries that let you develop
plugins that can automate any series of actions in Frame that you can do through
the UI. Once a plugin is developed, you can install it on all of your computers.
(Free download from Adobe.)
For coding help, feel free to join the frame_dev Yahoo group.
- ExtendScript. As of FrameMaker 10, Adobe's ExtendScript language can now be used
to automate FrameMaker.
- FrameScript. A FrameMaker plugin that lets you write VB-like scripts to drive
FrameMaker. To run a framescript, each computer that you want to run it on must
have a FrameScript license. ($150 per license.)
- FrameAC. A FrameMaker plugin that lets you write actual VB scripts (in the Visual
Basic IDE). Also, one license per system that you want to run the scripts on.
(150 euros per license.)
- fmPython. A FrameMaker plugin that lets you write scripts using the Python
language. This plugin must be installed on each system in order to run the fmPython
script. (Free download.)
» It appears that this website is no longer accessible. The license agreement
says that it's OK to redistribute, so here it is ..
There are also some "batch" processing plugins that provide some level of scripting
If you're interested in having a custom plugin developed for you (using the FDK),
feel free to contact Leximation for a quote. If you're looking for
help developing FrameScripts, visit
It is always important to keep up on the latest FrameMaker update. You can use the
"Check for Updates" feature in FrameMaker, or you can grab the updates from
If you need to reinstall FrameMaker, and don't have the original installation disks, you can